Be Prepared for Thunderstorm and Tornado Season in the Mid-South with Tips from ServiceMaster by Cornerstone
Thunderstorm and tornado season in Memphis and the Mid-South are generally in the spring but can occur any month of the year at any time. ServiceMaster by Cornerstone is here for you to restore your home or business should disaster strike. The best protection is to know how to identify ideal conditions for severe weather and to have a working tornado preparedness plan to protect your home or business. Practicing your disaster preparedness plan is imperative prior to a weather event as well. It is also important to have an inventory of all possessions of your home and business stored in a safety deposit box in case of material loss. Finally, the most important thing is to keep you, your family, or coworkers safe. Here are some safety tips in case of a tornado strike or severe thunderstorm.
Signs of a Tornado or Severe Thunderstorm
- Ominously dark skies with a green tint
- A calm, eerie stillness to the air before rain starts
- Noises that sound like a freight train approaching
- Strong winds and flying debris known as a debris cloud
- A wall cloud that seems to lower
- A rotation coming from the cloud wall
- Possible hard rain and hail
It is important to know the difference between a Tornado Watch and a Tornado Warning.
Tornado Watch– Conditions are favorable for a tornado to occur.
Tornado Warning– A tornado has been spotted and you should seek shelter immediately.
What to Do After the Storm
After learning from your weather radio that the storm has passed and you are clear to exit your shelter, it is important to allow first responders and cleaning crews do their job and avoid injury from any downed power lines or loose debris. Once it is determined that you and everyone around you is safe, detect if any damage has occurred to your home or business. Storm damage can come from wind, rain, hail, and lightening. If damage has occurred, call ServiceMaster. We have the tools, necessities, and personnel to help you and your business get back on your feet as soon as possible.
What ServiceMaster Does After the Storm
- Identify the source of the damage, whether it be water, wind, or fire and access the damage
- Make an in-depth inspection of your home or business to determine the scope of damage:
- Inspect attic for wet insulation and framing as well as assess damage to contents
- Inspect basement for seepage and plan for dying
- Inspect Ductwork for water damage
- Inspect crawlspace for water damage
- Starting the process of saving your contents
- Perform water extraction and start the drying process
- Evaluate Carpeting- removal of carpeting and pad will be determined and remove non-salvageable carpet
- Evaluate other flooring and decide if it is salvageable and can be dried or if it needs to be removed and then do so
- Evaluate Walls, ceilings, and cabinets for damage. Remove any unsalvageable items. Sheetrock will be heavily scrutinized because sometimes it is better to remove than to dry
- Remove doors if needed
- Apply antimicrobials if needed
- Apply odor control if needed
- Place and set up high-velocity air movers of needed
- Place and set up dehumidifiers if needed
- Start the recovery of contents and begin the cleaning process
- Discuss future plans and visits with goals in place
- Start the rebuilding process
- Oversees the new rebuild and construction process of your home or business
At ServiceMaster by Cornerstone, we get you and your home or business back on your track as quickly as possible. It can be an overwhelming process, but you don’t have to go it alone. Call ServiceMaster by Cornerstone at (901) 624-9200 after any emergency 24/7, 365 days a year.
Complete Restorations, Fire Restoration Service, Fire Restoration Services, Restoration to homes, ServiceMaster, ServiceMaster by Cornerstone, ServiceMaster by Cornerstone fire relief, ServiceMaster Cleaning, ServiceMaster fire restoration, ServiceMaster Memphis, ServiceMaster near me, ServiceMaster TN, tornado damage, water damage, water damage floor restoration, Water Damage repair costs, Water damage restoration, Water Damage Restoration costs, weather damage